Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Vancouver mayor announces new program to fight drug addiction and crime

Vancouver mayor, Sam Sullivan, appears to be forging ahead with his plan to create drug maintenance programs for drug addicts. The plan is called CAST (Chronic Addiction Substitution Treatment). I've posted before on the subject here and here, so I won't repeat what I've already written. I will add, however, that Vancouver built a lot of support for its "four pillar" approach to addiction with the promise of treatment as one of the pillars. I suspect that this was not what many of those stakeholders had in mind.

If your from southeastern Michigan, you may be wondering how this is relevant to us. The answer is that Vancouver is frequently pointed to as an innovative model for responding to addiction.

No comments: