Monday, November 24, 2008

Ramstad for Drug Czar

Personally, I'd like to see McLellan get the job.

I'm also concerned about some of Ramstad's positions on the war on drugs, but what I find noteworthy about the article is the high profile that the Drug Policy Alliance has established. They've been successful in shifting their identity from radical outlier (They do favor a blanket decriminalization of drugs.) to respected "liberal" advocacy group.

I agree with them in several areas, but I worry about them becoming the de facto liberal voice on drug policy. I consider myself pretty liberal and in attempts to apply liberal values to drug policy, I find myself reaching very different conclusions on some matters.

UPDATE: Clearly the DPA is libertarian, but their positions are presented as the alternative to the conservative pro-WOD position. I suppose this is because liberals have failed to articulate a liberal drug policy of their own? Have liberals been so concerned about being characterized as soft of crime/drugs that they've failed to take a stand? Wouldn't the debate benefit from an alternative position?

No comments: